A bit of rugby, some pub food, and thou

I know this is all really last-minute, but I have been wanting to tell you about a cool way to be able to listen in to the New Zealand All Blacks' rugby matches online. This is assuming, of course, that you don't already get their games televised somehow but given how far off the radar professional rugby is in the United States, I am thinking maybe you wouldn't have the chance to watch these games.

Hey, don't feel bad if you're too poor for a dish - so am I! Once I get a dish from Sky, I'll still put ARC on in the background and have the television muted. That way I can watch the footy but listen to the good stuff from ARC. But to make matters worse, the AB's first game of 2008 is being played right here at the Cake Tin in Wellington (versus Ireland), and I won't even be able to go!

That's why I wanted to tell you about the Alternative Rugby Commentary. Not only does it allow you to listen in, live, as the All Blacks are mercilessly pummelling playing their next hapless victim opponent, but streaming live right along with the action is hilarious commentary. So you not only get to experience the All Blacks and their many wonders to behold, but you get a slice of Kiwi culture on the side. Wash it all down with a few pints of your favourite BEvERage and I daresay you'll have found a great way to kill a couple of hours. Plate of fish 'n chips optional but highly recommended.

At the end of the experience, hopefully you will find yourself highly entertained, a little more knowledgable about all things rugby and especially Kiwi, and most assuredly overjoyed at yet another All Blacks victory.

I must warn you: it is probably not 'politically correct', this live streaming broadcast, but that is precisely one of the reasons why I like it so much. There is a good short article doing a better job of describing ARC than I am, posted over at Scoop. Also, the weather right now in Welly is cold, windy, and wet as we are right in the midst of a southerly. So it is not such a bad thing to have to miss out on seeing the All Blacks in person tonight.

If you miss out on this game versus the Celts tonight, well I only gave you seven hours' notice, so it's understandable. But do check out the Fixture List to the right of ARC's main page, and mark your calendar for a game in the future! There is also an archive section, going back over three years, but the AB's play a lot this year so hopefully you'll get to listen in on at least one match.

Go the All Blacks!

Comments

Unknown said…
I have a dish; however, to see rugby on TV one must fork out extra bucks to the tune of as much as $90.00, which I certainly can’t afford.

I just checked out your link and signed up after reading that “the Alternative Rugby Commentary is here to save the world.” The world needs all of the saving it can get. Besides, it appears I may also get a lot of laughs from the commentary and this site.

Thank you, Brooksie!
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Wow, that is a lot extra. I'd only pay that for the Rugby World Cup, but that's not until 2011, and it's here in New Zealand!

Thanks for signing up, Nick! Hope you do get a few laughs, I know I did last night. Cheers.

Popular Posts