I'm Going Back To College*

I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College... hmm, I don't think so
I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College... I don't think so

Gonna take classes, some actin', some writin'
I'll be improvisin' and typin', in Wellington
The side all dented, on my beige Lancer
And it's flash, cause it's parked on Courtney Place
Tape deck, air freshener, shaped like a Hawaiian shirt
Them girls go running
GRRRRRRRR clutch grindin', still learnin', to drive it
Driving fast after workin' all day
Fighting the wind, stayin' between the lines
Pop in a cassette, it's auto-play

I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College... yea y'all, I don't think so
I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College...

I'm going back to College, for actin', for writin'
Shakin' off rust from hobbies long gone
High school's the place, on Colombo, after dark
Where peeps can learn, make new friends
The classes look fun, and I'm still learnin'
Readin', travelin', shmoozin', cruisin'
Used to act lots, back in the day
Also wanna write, maybe write a little play

I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College... no man I don't think so
I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College...

I'm going back to College, revisin', improvin'
Learnin' enjoyin', I can't get enough
My checkbook - small, appetite - tall
I said, I liked, the drama.
Seen libraries on the beach, been told I can teach
But I ain't no dalai lama
If you think me unwise, you'd best reconsider
I'm just lookin' for a good time
No not like that, I just wanna be at
Class, it keeps me outta organized crime

I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College... I don't think so
I'm going back to College, College, College
I'm going back to College... excuse me, I don't think so.

* With all apologies to the excellent Mr. Cool J!

All right, the real point of this post is to say that I have finally gotten back into taking some classes. For the past several years I've wanted to get back in the classroom and learn something, and another long-lost passion of mine is acting. Well I've been able to combine both desires and hit it all in one with the first of my two upcoming classes this February: Drama. It's a 90-minute class that meets every Monday night in town for a couple of months or so, and I can't wait!

Don't get me wrong, I have no aspirations of appearing on stage before the Wellington public at any stage (pun intended). But I really miss the creative outlet and the collaborative spirit that is theater. One of my favorite types of acting within the discipline was always improvisation so I know I'm terribly rusty but if we're doing any of that I'll be on to it.

My next class, and one I anticipate at least as eagerly as I do the acting one, is a course in Short Story Writing that doesn't begin until late July. I'd love to get into that right now, but I'm also glad that I'm not doing both at once, for that would be a bit hectic and would take away the focus. Plus, it's been a long time since I've been in school (I really do hate to contemplate just how long...) so no need to throw myself in the deep end with too much at once. Not only do I work full-time but I am probably going to pick up a few shifts at the after-hours clinic for a little extra cash. It'll be mighty stressful, but it won't be permanent and anyways it'll ingratiate me with the after-hours clinic and it'll be nice to give them some relief once in a while.

All right well don't want to ramble but am very excited about taking these classes. Half the reason I am joining is for the fun of it and to keep the creative side of my brain entertained, but the other half is to put myself out there and hopefully meet more people and make some friends. Even if these two classes don't pan out to be all that great, there are scads of others from which to choose, including some cooking classes that looked interesting.

Now if I could just learn how to cook I'd be halfway to being a 'good catch' heh heh ...

Comments

Aww, that's great news! I am so happy to hear that you're going back to school to further your creative knowledge - YAY! That's a huge thing that you're doing that most people are too scared to ever do, even if it is just for fun. You seem like such a great person, so I am sure you'll have absolutely no problem meeting new people and making new friends. I would totally hang out with you, lol, but would you hang out with me, that's the real question here isn't it. lol *wink* And cooking isn't what makes a person a "good-catch" I mean, yeah, it helps, but what's the point of all those really great restaurants if you don't have to go to them? I say only learn to cook a few things, and leave the rest of it to the chefs ;) Congrats on your decision Brandon!
DanaBurger said…
congrats on going back to school Brooksie :) i'm really proud of ya! :)have fun with it and remeber SCHOOL IS COOL !
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Hey ladies, thanks for that :)

Lyndsay - Oh I'd definitely hang out with ya, no doubt about it! You're 'good people' and I say it all the time but I'm so glad to have met people like you through Blogger. Really is a small world, isn't it? And great point about the cooking - I think my love of good restaurants > my love of cooking. Maybe I'll learn 2 or 3 dishes and hone them to perfection, and leave the rest to the chefs. Sound advice!

Dana - Thanks, I will have fun with it and you are so right - school _is_ cool!
Anonymous said…
That is way too cool! So much to admire about someone that follows his heart and is not afraid to dive into the unknown. I know you will love the drama classes. I know I fell in love with theatre (major in college)- once you get the bug it's with you forever. Let me know how it goes.
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Hi Kathy! Thanks for that, and I thought of you when I signed up for these because I knew how much acting you did before. I drove by where the classes will be held today, it's a neat looking building in a cool part of town. I start in a few days, can't wait!

Popular Posts