R.I.P. Bob

Today was a sad day indeed, as we had to put our beloved Bob the cat to sleep. Sometime last night he was hit by a car, as today we noticed he wasn't around like usual in the morning. We got a phone call in the early afternoon, and a neighbor of the clinic's found him in their courtyard. Seems he was lying on his side but when they went to try and pick him up, he scurried away. Even to the end, his alley cat instincts came through.

His left hind leg was shattered and he was in shock when he was brought to us. These past two weeks Bob had been steadily going downhill, as he lost a lot of weight and his arthritis was really wearing him down. It was a family decision (that's what we are, Bob's family) and we decided it would be kindest to put him to sleep. I really didn't want to have to be the one to do it, but somehow I always knew it would be me. He went gently and many a tear were shed, but we couldn't let our stalwart mascot suffer any more and for a cat to live to the advanced age of eighteen is quite remarkable - especially for an outdoor cat on a busy street.

I'll always remember him for his quiet but confident presence, his lordly manner, and his cheeky habits of always trying to sneak a hand-out in the break room. I do have a fitting sort of final memory of him. The other day, as I was leaving work, I cast a glance over my shoulder back at Bob (as I often do). Having just been turned out for the night, he was in the clinic driveway, with his gaze fixed on the horizon at something that caught his interest. Could have been a bird, or another cat, or maybe some people out for a stroll. Whatever it was he saw, when I got to my car and turned around again to look at him, he was gone.

And so he is gone now, off on some distant horizon, chasing prey and doing outdoor cat things.

Cheers, Bob.

Comments

Sarah said…
Aw, my condolences... Losing a "pet" is never easy, whatever their exact relationship.
Brandon, I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how it is to lose a pet because to most, they're much more than that; they're family. As you said, though, Bob was sick and was not doing well and because of his new injuries, I most definitely made the right decision and that he's better off now, living free as a bird... or a cat, which makes more sense. Here are some posts I have made regarding a very similar situation my family had to go through this past March... and again, I am very sorry for your loss :(

http://beechball.blogspot.com/2006/03/not-so-happy-post.html

http://beechball.blogspot.com/2006/03/i-will-always-love-you-kc.html
I meant to say I most definitely believe YOU made the best decision.. not Me... sorry, I somehow forgot to write half my words there :S
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Sarah and Lyndsay - thanks for the sentiments! We're all pet lovers and they really are family members, so I know you can relate. I'll be sure to check out those posts, Lyndsay. There's a lithography kiosk in the mall I frequent and for months I've been waiting for the right opportunity to turn a photo into one, and now is the time. I'll make that photo I used of Bob in a previous post into a lithograph that we can mount over his ashes, so we can always see our Bob! Cheers guys :)
DanaBurger said…
RIP BOB! :( what a sin! sorry to hear about your loss Brooksie!

Popular Posts