"The new phonebooks are here! The new phonebooks are here!"


I have now finished moving into my new flat. It's a nice little place in a good suburb, right across the Hutt River from where I work (q.v. my previous posting). The weather this weekend was a real shocker, with blowing winds and rain, but fortunately the gusts subsided enough for me to shift things across town without getting too drenched. It also helps that I don't have any furtniture to speak of!

In fact, I also don't have a refrigerator. Yipes! Apparently, in NZ, when you change flats you also take the fridge. Luckily I only had a bit of ham and some milk and cheese left so I am not out of pocket too much there. This also serves as a good excuse to get take-aways all week, but I really do need to get a fridge in here five minutes ago.

Pictures to come soon, but I didn't want to take any of the place today, given how terribly 'minimalist' the furnishings are (it's a new trend I'm starting). Also, the dingy grey sky and blowing rain would really cheapen the effect of the scenic view outside my windows. And just in case I forgot I was in New Zealand, several of the neighboring yards have sheep grazing in them. I guess that's better than barking dogs that are chained outside!

Waiting for me on the doorstep were my new phonebooks, and of course after the fashion of Steve Martin's "Jerk", I tore open the bag and flipped right to the B's. And there I am! "Brooks B of 31B Chatsworth Road 528 6587"! Do you know how many people read these books a day? I'm famous now - in New Zealand! Of course, I'm no longer at that address. Or that phone number. But STILL - I'm in 'the book'!

OK that's enough of that, but now that not only am I finally set up in my own place and my cats touched down in Christchurch this morning, it feels like things are just beginning for me here. Nevermind that in 6 months my visa is up! I'll work on renewing that first of the year.

Comments

Congrats on your new place, how exciting that must be for you! I used to love moving... except that ONE time I moved across town to a place I HATED, but anywho, it's still all very exciting. And lucky you for being in the phone book, I'm not, I'm just assumed to be there under myboyfriends name - Boo, I wanna be famous too! Can't wait for the pictures, I looove pictures and are you serious about the sheep??? or am I just a stupid canadian girl, lol
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Oh no, I hope that one place that you hated didn't keep you for too long! And yes, there really are sheep, it's a bit surreal. I live in a very 'pastoral' neighborhood! And don't worry about your current state of phonebook anonymity. You'll get your "15 minutes" of fame someday soon, I just know it!

Popular Posts