"Oh no. That is so inconvenient."

So sayeth Hugh Grant's character in "Love Actually" when referring to the charming, funny new girl working on his staff.

This would be my sentiment exactly, except I'm not the Prime Minister of England and the object of my crush does not in fact work with me. Rather, she cuts hair at the local salon where I go to... get my haircut.

Oh sure, I've chatted with her every time I've been in there, enough to know that she moved to New Zealand from England about six years ago. She loves it here and she loves to travel and she knows a bit of my story as well.

One key detail I've neglected to find out is her name. I am such an absentminded buffoon sometimes that the obvious things escape me, so I've never introduced myself to her as such. We've just had the odd small talk conversations.

But I can tell that she is rather sweet and friendly, and is probably in her mid-20s so I know she's younger than I am but age is a state of mind!

My problem is - and here is the inconvenient part - I would like to ask her out on a date but I don't know quite how to go about it. Do I just spring it on her next time I get a haircut? She isn't the one who actually cuts my hair, but she does wash anyone's hair who requests it, so perhaps this could be an opening.

Still, I feel a bit silly asking her on a date in front of all those people, and there is my nagging lack of knowledge of her name. Perhaps asking her out before knowing her name would be putting the proverbial cart before the horse.

I also am well aware that she could indeed have a boyfriend (or the dreaded 'partner'), but in my view there is really only one way to find out.

So what do you think, kind reader? Any advice for Brooksie in this particular situation? My heart's all aflutter, stomach's full of butterflies, tongue's in knots. I could use a little advice!

Comments

Awwww, that is just too cute. I'm sorry, but it is. Any girl who gets asked out nicely by a nice guy will react nicely back, good or bad. She won't be offended, but compliemented instead. You could simple be forward and say, "I'm sorry, I don't believe I ever caught your name, I'm Brandon - I just wanted to officially introduce myself" Girls love a confident man, but don't get too full of yourself. Asking her while she washes your hair is kinda odd, I don't recommend that, but maybe on the way out - work it so you get to say g'bye, it was nice chatting and if she's interested, go out for a bite to eat/ coffee sometime. You'll be fine! If she says yes, bonus! If she says no, im sure she'll be considerate of your feelings and not make you feel badly, girls don't like to hurt nice boys. :) Good luck and keep us posted! Sheesh, I should have just posted this on my own site, lol ;) Bye (Your real name is Brandon right ? lol) 'possible foot in mouth?' haha
Sorry about the spelling errors (I hate that!). I am so used to going back and correcting my mistakes and I keep not checking my comments before posting them.. eek! :)
Kiwi Brooksie said…
That is great advice, Lyndsay, thanks very much! And you are right about my name, it is indeed Brandon. I'll make the best of my next opportunity and I'll be sure to keep you posted. Fingers crossed! And if you make any spelling errors they are few and far between, but don't worry anyways - I can read 'typo' :D
Where did you go! :P
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Aw, I'm sorry Lyndsay! It is very nice to be missed though (big Hobbes grin). I've been busy with work and I spent all of today doing some Christmas shopping - yes, I took a page from your book!

Popular Posts