Travel New Zealand Tourism Update

Hey! All of you readers out there, I’ve got a bulletin for you.

It's the first sunny day we’ve had here in Welly in a week. Exactly a week. I’ve been terribly lucky these past three Wednesdays with the gorgeous weather. They've been an oasis of calm amidst a stormy tempest of cold, blowy rain the past fortnight.

Hmm, I've been reading too much poetry lately.

So I’ve taken full advantage of this boon by coming into the CBD (Central Business District, to us locals. Sha, as if!) and getting coffee and writing and being part of the energy that is the Wellington crowd. And something occurs to me: I can't have this glorious splendor all to myself!

So which of you is coming to visit me first? Come on now, don’t be shy. There are no excuses, now that I’ve got my flat nearly all set up. Well, the guest room anyways. I figure I can have the air mattress, while my illustrious guests (you, dear reader) have the bed and your own dresser and night stand. I just need some living room furniture, which is coming soon. There's also a nice big barbecue I'm inheriting as well, and the flat has a spacious deck!

It also has three cats, so if you have allergies to them please don't let that stop you from visiting. Plenty of nice places to stay for reasonable rates. Your dollar does go further here!

But Spring is here and it’s going to be a nice, long summer down here in NZ. I just know it. So get out of wherever you are for a bit and escape all that inclement weather! Let me take you on a tour of both islands. You’ve got a free place to stay and a free tour guide who’s admittedly still learning the place, but that’s half the fun.

I’ve already got a south island itinerary mapped out, but of course I’m game for anything. It’s so easy to wander off the beaten path here and find something amazing. You really just can’t go wrong. Sometimes the best plan is no plan at all, just to wander and let it all hit you as you go. I’ll even do all the driving!

So mark your calendars now. Take no less than two weeks, preferably three. You’ll spend three days of that just getting here and back, plus allow for a little jet lag. Organize the time off from work, trade shifts where you have to. If I must, I will write you all doctor’s notes saying that you require some much-needed R&R and the only place for it is Down Under. I have that power, you know.

I grant you, it will take some time and effort to make this trip happen. That’s why I’m officially starting to pester you all now. Get together with other friends and family of Brooksie and take the trip together. The more the merrier! The guest bed sleeps two, as does the air mattress, and I’ll be getting a couch that sleeps one, plus there will be the master bedroom as well. We can even organize some cots. There is only one bathroom, though!

The best time of year to come is probably February through April, after all the Kiwis have gone back to work and it's late summer/early autumn down here. Rates on everything will be lower as it's not tourist season then, either.

Just to entice you further, I refer you to some snapshots of my trip so far, with more linked at right. The picture above is from New Brighton's beach, just outside Christchurch. Images like this are but the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

And if it’s icebergs you really want, Antarctica is just round the corner. They got a million of 'em.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Excellent. I will add this link to our Hotel and Tourism Resource centre website - you've done a great job.
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Thanks for the compliment! And for the link. I'm flattered and honored :)
DanaBurger said…
mmmmmmmm.... vacation! are you paying for this trip???? if so then i'm totally in!
Yeah, that'd be sweet! me and you dana - we'll finally meet on a trip to meet another fellow blogger! That would be so friggin' cool although highly unlikely for I don't have the time or money :( Boooooo! By the way, Brooksie, How on earth have you never heard of Buckley's? it's the THING of cough killers here in Canada. You should check it out, and it does taste horribly strong - but it does the trick! :) I wanna go to NZ!!! :(
I added my email to the previous post :P not sure why I didn't just post it here - duh!
Aww, sorry to post again, but I just saw what you wrote about my song/memory blog. That's so sweet and sad all at the same time. I am downloading the song right now in shadows honour :) :) :) Thanks for sharing your personal story with me, I appreciate that.
Kiwi Brooksie said…
Dana and Lyndsay, wish I could afford to fly y'all down here, cause you know I would! But I'll be here a good long while, so start that "NZ Savings Fund" now and you'll be in good shape in the long run :D

Popular Posts